Friday, May 18, 2012

Frugal Fridays ~ Campfire Donuts


As a stay at home mom I have to find some crafty ways to make the dollars stretch.  It is important to me to make my husband feel like he doesn't just work to pay bills or feed two growing boys.  Today I would like to share with you something that is a near to my heart.  This is something my mom used to make all the time growing up and it really is cheaper than the alternative.  Campfire donuts have been around for a long time and are easy to make.  The cost difference between regular donuts from the store and made at home is astronomical.  I spent a whopping 39 cents for mine!  Compared to the 5 dollars or so at the store. 

Campfire Donuts
~ 1 Can refrigerated biscuits tube
~ 1 cup vegetable oil
~ 1 cup powdered sugar
~ 1 cap from a water bottle or something like it

Heat oil in a small saucepan on medium heat.  Meanwhile cut a hole in the center of each "donut" with the cap.  Line a plate with paper towels and set your powdered sugar next to it.  Cook each donut (holes too!) until light golden brown on each side, when done lay on paper towels and sprinkle with powdered sugar.  It is that simple! 

I haven't met a kid that didn't like them, and for less than $3.00 for all the ingredients you are still coming out way cheaper than the alternative! 

No comments: